The American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum hosts three major annual events which we invite volunteers to participate in.
- National Day of the Cowboy Saturday, July 26, 2014: Volunteers may interpret the structures, assist with activities, such as lariat rope making, learn how to rope, horse side walker or provide horses, greet visitors at the door, assist with the hot dog lunch or lead simple children’s activities.
- America’s Horse in Art Show & Sale Opening Reception Saturday, August 16, 2014: Volunteers at this event can help greet guests and artists, assist art collectors with questions about the art or bidding process.
- Youth Art Show Opening Reception, December 9, 2014: This event is dedicated to helping young artist get the experience of hanging in an art gallery. Volunteers at this event can help greet guests, handle raffle slip sign up and drawing, help students find their displayed art work, orserve as a lesion for museum staff to students and teachers receiving awards.
The Hall of Fame provides guided tours for school groups and there are two ways volunteers can support this program. Volunteers help us by guiding students through fun learning activities about westward expansion or prep our youngest guests for a mop pony trail ride.
There are a few days throughout the year we host field trips based around a temporary exhibit. These are busy days at the museum and we need help guiding the students to the various activities.
- Living History Field Trip-Buffalo Soldier: An American Horsemen February 27 and 28: Volunteers will help greet schools when they arrive for the 9 a.m, 10:45 a.m. or 12:30 p.m. tour. During the students 90-minute visit, volunteers will guide student groups to three separate activities and help museum staff escort the students to their buses.
Hall of Fame HOSTS
Hall of Fame Hosts help us educate the many tourists who schedule a visit to our museum. As a host you will greet visitors with some warm Texas hospitality and then share the history of the American Quarter Horse, the American Quarter Horse Association and the influence our Hall of Famers have had on the equine industry. In addition to helping with scheduled tours, there are opportunities to assist during after-hours events in areas such as greeting guests, or provide guided tours.
- Buffalo Soldier: Tales of an American Horsemen, February 28, 2014 7 p.m.-9 p.m.: Volunteers at this event can help greet guests, handle raffle slip sign up and drawing, and at the conclusion of the evening thank visitors for attending.
The Hall of Fame accepts volunteers who wish to help with a specific department. Possible activites include:
- Assisting the Education staff in
- Assisting the Curatorial staff in cataloguing artifacts and books.
- development and delivery of programming.
- organize incoming and outgoing Youth Art Show entries.
- serving as a tour guide during special school group programming.
There are many various volunteer opportunities at the Hall of Fame! Contact us to find out how you can be involved by email or by phone at (806) 376-5181.
Benefits of Volunteering:
- Access to behind-the-scenes areas
- Quarterly Volunteer newsletter
- Access to special lectures and training
- Discount at Quarter Horse Outfitters Store
- A chance to share your knowledge and skills with others