Locations of U.S. Remount Stallions
The original Army Horse Breeding Program was designed to bring the mares to the stallions. Those stallions were stabled and maintained by the U.S. Government on the Branch Remount Depots. Under the revised program of 1920, the stallions were dispersed to civilian agents from the Remount Depots in Virginia, Oklahoma, Montana and Nebraska. That move made high quality stallions available throughout the nation.
The agents stood the stallions to their own and other horsemen’s mares. Each agent signed a contract with the U.S. Remount Service, making him responsible for the animal’s upkeep and well-being during the period that he kept him. The agent also maintained records on the number of mares bred and the resulting foals.
In some cases, the stallions were sent out on the road to serve a number of mares. The agent transported the stallion to the different farms and ranches where approved mares would be waiting. Every effort was made to serve the total number of mares approved for the individual stallion.
Remount stallions also stood at universities, agricultural colleges and U.S. government agencies as well as at the Branch Remount Depots. Government stallions were in use at those institutions from the early years of the project until it was liquidated in 1948.
Most stallions were utilized by a number of agents in different locales during their years of service. The Remount policy was to move a stallion when his daughters became old enough to breed. In this way, a stallion could have seven or eight homes during his active years and influence horses in several locations.
During the peak years of the U.S. Remount Service, 700 stallions were assigned to civilian agents across the country. This is a sampling of breeders that have been awarded the Best Remuda Award that utilized Remount stallions.