CS Cattle Company
When Frank Springer topped a rise and looked down on the little village of Cimarron, New Mexico, in February 1873, he was so struck with the area that he bought 1,000 acres six miles east of Cimarron.
Thoroughbreds became the basis for the ranch’s herd, but the blood was strengthened in 1912 when Hank Springer bought Little Joe from Quarter Horse foundation breeder, Billy Anson.
Through the years, the ranch continued to add to and upgrade its horse herd, and in the 1920s, manager Ed Springer took advantage of the U.S. Army’s remount program.
When Les Davis took over the ranch in 1946, he realized what his uncle, Ed Springer, had known all along: Raising cattle was not the only way to make the ranch pay. There was also money in horses. In addition to selling to area ranchers, Les began to market the horses on both coasts as mounts for polo players and as hunter/jumper prospects.
The CS Cattle Company utilized Remount stallions extensively in their breeding program from the time that the service was begun until it was phased out in 1948. Included in the stallion battery were such individuals as Forever Young (TB) by Peter Pan, Donnay (TB) by Dannacena, Half Pint (TB) by Spanish Prince, Energy (TB) by Colonel Vennie, Buckeye Poet (TB) by Black Toney, Besom (TB) by Golden Broom and Chimney Sweep (TB) by Whisk Broom II. Those stallions, crossed on the CS band of select mares, produced an outstanding group of horses that were popular polo, ranch, rodeo and pleasure mounts, as well as hunters and race horses up to one-half mile.
Photograph courtesy of The Quarter Horse Journal