Fort Stockton, Texas
In July 1867, Fort Stockton was re-established by four companies of the 9th U.S. Cavalry Regiment on 960 acres leased from civilian landowners, one-half mile northeast of the first post. The 9th Cavalry began construction under the command of Colonel Edward Hatch. When the 9th Cavalry was moved to New Mexico in 1875, Colonel Benjamin Grierson’s 10th Cavalry took over the duties of protecting westward migration and trade routes.
About 87 percent of all soldiers garrisoned at Fort Stockton from 1867 to 1886 were Buffalo Soldiers of the 9th and 10th Cavalry. Surmounting obstacles of harsh living conditions, low pay and racial prejudice, they gained a reputation for tenacity and bravery. Stationed continuously on the frontier during the years of Indian hostility, black regiments played a major role in the settlement and development of America’s western frontier.
This photograph shows the 10th Cavalry at Fort Stockton, Texas.
2014.1.8, Courtesy of Fort Concho National Historic Landmark, Wedemeyer Collection