Fort Huachuca, Arizona
Right after their arrival at Huachuca, in 1914, the men of the 10th Cavalry were spread out at encampments along the Arizona-Mexico border from Yuma on the west to Naco on the east. They corralled their horses and stretched their tents at points in between. Many would sweat it out under canvas for as long as ten months before being rotated back to their home station in the cooler elevations of the Huachuca Mountains.
They were picketed along the border, not as some training exercise, but to enforce neutrality laws. Mexico was experiencing political upheaval on a scale that alarmed statesmen in Washington, D.C., and they quickly legislated that there could be no encroachments upon American soil.
They were relieved in 1931 by the 25th Infantry Regiment. Like the 10th Cavalry, the 25th Infantry were to serve there for 14 years until 1942, when they were incorporated as cadre into the newly formed 93rd Infantry Division.
This photograph shows the Fort Huachuca corrals, circa 1928.
2014.8.5, Courtesy of The Library of Congress