Fort Concho, Texas
Established in 1867, along the banks of the Concho River, Fort Concho was built to protect frontier settlements, patrol and map the vast West Texas region, and quell hostile threats in the area.
Fort Concho served as regimental headquarters for some of the most famous frontier units like the 4th and 10th Cavalry. Notable military commanders such as Ranald Mackenzie, Benjamin Grierson, and William ‘Pecos Bill’ Shafter commanded there. Elements of all four regiments of the Buffalo Soldiers were stationed at the post during its active period.
This photograph shows a 9th U.S. Cavalry trooper in uniform with a marksman badge and sharpshooter medal, wearing a kepi, the flat circular hat, with crossed sabers.
2014.1.1, Courtesy of Fort Concho National Historic Landmark