Cavalry Machine Gun Platoon
Fort Riley, Kansas
In 1887 Fort Riley, Kansas became the site of the United States Cavalry School. The famous all-black 9th and 10th Cavalry regiments were stationed at Fort Riley at various times in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Prior to World War II, the 9th and 10th Cavalry were stationed at Fort Riley, and became part of the 2nd Cavalry Division.
During the late 1930s, tensions in Europe and Asia caused military planners to prepare for the U.S. to enter the war. This led to several important developments at Fort Riley. The first was rebuilding Camp Funston and stationing the 2nd Cavalry Division there in 1940.
Over the next four years, approximately 125,000 soldiers were trained at Fort Riley.
This series of photographs shows cavalrymen and horses going over obstacles during a field practice. Photographs by Jack Delano, circa 1942.
2014.8.18, 19, 20, 21, Courtesy of The Library of Congress